Wednesday 19 September 2012

Expeditions and Experiments

I has been a while since my last blog but I have taken time out from my Phd to update you on my progress.
I am now half-way through doctoral process - with about a year and a half to go. I have started primary research: interviews at this point, and hope to start writing up the material over the summer.
Essentially I am now working quite deeply on the idea of a 'multiplicity of place' and relating various ideas about this to mixed reality technologies and practices. Can these practices and technologies affect place, and support the work of different place based practitioners? What are the issues involved with engaging with place in this way? The material ranges from quite practical hints and tips, through to esoteric and philosophical musings on the nature of 'place' and relationship with consciousness.
As as a supplement to this work I am engaging in expeditions to various marginal locations including Kopuatai Peat Dome (picture above) and Whatipu Reserve, and historic sites such as Te Maketu and  Rangariri Pa. It is interesting in these locations to notice the mutiple (sometimes contradictory) stories that inform each place, and the hidden dimensions that are discovered through encounters with environment. These 'other' dimensions, I feel, can be highlighted through the use of certain technologies alongside a certain kind of mindfulness of approach. More writing on this in future...

No comments: